Monday, October 23, 2006

How Do We Pray?

   Our prayers really ought to be prompted out of our deep understanding of what the will of God is. There are a lot of folks who go to prayer, not to ascertain the will of God, but to ask Him to do what they want. Prayer is not getting God to adjust His program to what we want, it is adjusting our lives to the revealed will of God. When we pray, it isn't God who changes, it's us. Maybe we've been looking for change at the wrong end of the cycle.
              David Jeremiah in "The Handwriting on the Wall"
 

Comments:
While I understand this intellectually and teach it, I realize that too often in my life I treat prayer like rubbing the Aladin's lamp.

"Oh great Jinn, grant me three wishes."

Something I have to guard against. I guess that's why I almost always begin each prayer with thanks and end it by requesting His glory be made known.

Glad to see you actively blogging again.
 
John Piper is always saying that prayer is a wartime communication device, used for calling down more firepower and intelligence, not for more comforts in the living room.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?