Sunday, December 16, 2007

THE SHADOW OF THE CROSS

     In an attempt to get back to blogging, I am going to post my Christmas sermons. The one below was preached on Dec. 9, 2007.
    As we celebrate Christ's birth, we must also consider his death. That is the reason for the title and the thoughts.
   More to come.
 

THE SHADOW OF THE CROSS

Matthew 1:18-25

INTRO:  The shadow of the cross fell over the manger of Bethlehem. This is revealed in Jesus' life in several ways:

 

HIS NAME (Mt. 1:21)

   Call him Jesus for He will save his people from their sins.

   Hebrews 9:22 says "… without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." (See Leviticus 17:11)

   Sin brings judgment. The only way justice can be met is that a perfect one dies for the condemned.

 

PROPHESY

   Acts 2:23: "This man (Jesus) was handed over to you by God's set purpose and foreknowledge. (See also Acts 3:18)

   I Peter 1:18-20: "… you were redeemed … by the precious blood of Christ … chosen before the creation of the world. "

 

HIS PURPOSE

   John 12:27: Jesus said, "Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour."

 

HIS COMMITMENT

   John 4:34: "My food," said Jesus "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work."

   John 5:30: Jesus said, "I seek not to please myself but him who sent me." (See also John 6:38 and John 8:28-29)

   Luke 22:42: Jesus said, "Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

 

CONCLUSION: Jesus came to reveal the love of God and to demonstrate it on the cross. Though we cannot go to the cross for anyone, we too have a purpose and hopefully a commitment to live up to our (his) name.

 

==========

I welcome dialog.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?